Hi Lisa,

Just wanted to follow up on my birth experience after doing the calm birth course now my little baby boy Arlo is here 🙂

I am not sure if you remember me from the classes but one of my main concerns was the fast labour I had with my first born (3 & a bit hours). It was a very physically intense experience, but even more scary, stressful & just all a bit much and I was hoping to have my mind in a better place this time. I was really worried about getting to the hospital in time, scared for the car ride etc but after the course I was in a much better place & not so worried about those things I couldn’t control.

In the calm birth course we talked a lot about visualization & I spent a lot of time visualizing the progression of my labour, I even dreamed about having a slower labour with a break between contractions & even dreamed often about having such a break between contractions I was willing the next one to come.

I woke up to contractions at 1am on the 27th of December, I couldn’t sleep & wasn’t comfortable in bed so I pottered round the house & rested on my yoga ball, doing the calm breathing as needed. At 3.30 I started to time contractions & they were 8 mins apart last a minute. I hoped in a herbal bath to relax & wait for contractions to be close together or painful enough to go to the hospital. At 6am I was starting to struggle towards the end of a contraction so I started timing them again & they were still 8 mins apart but lasting about a 1.45 mins. I called the hospital & we decided to head in. As soon as I got out of the bath I realized the labour was much more advanced than I had realized, I was quite nauseated & started to feel a familiar pressure of the babies head was so low that I could hardly walk. We left the house at 6.30 & as soon as I was in the car I could feel my body start to push. It wasn’t scary (not for me at least), I decided to inspect myself & could easily feel the babies head. It was a crazy ride, I was loud, I was semi pushing & from the outside I probably didn’t look very calm but I was in a great place I knew the baby was coming in the right way at the right time & was just going with it, whether that was in the car or at the hospital was OK with me. By the time we got to the hospital it was some time after 7.30. A hospital bed was brought to the car so they could wheel me in to the hospital (the head was close to crowning & I was well past being able to walk) they got me into entrance of the ED & with a couple of concentrated pushes Arlo was here at 7.38am. This time I felt the extreme & overwhelming love/excitement/bond far beyond anything I could have imagined (as opposed to my last birth where I was still in shock). We had immediate skin to skin & he has barely left my chest since 😉

The actual birth was far from the calm, quiet peaceful delivery I had anticipated but it was it’s own kind of beautiful & I wouldn’t have changed a thing about it for anything.

Calm birth relieved the pain so well I didn’t even realize I was in active labour & barely made it to the hospital! Fantastic experience & I can’t wait to do it all again.

Thanks so much for all of your help, information & advise.

I am spreading the calm birth word 🙂

Thanks again,